Maybe the second in a series of interviews with people who are totally wrong?
Anyway, readers will be aware that a lot of people get mad that porn stars play D&D.
An adjacent issue is that people get mad when porn stars--or any sex workers really--do literally anything.
There was a recent internet controversy where a video of a bunch of model-types did a sexy video and they were goths. The internet got very upset that goths were shown as being hot. There was also something about Drake? Idk. There was discourse.
Here at D&D With Porn Stars we know a thing or two about goth sex workers but this is the Internet, where actual knowledge is often a tremendous handicap in trying to figure out what people are talking about.
So I interviewed one of them.
I started talking to B00GIEpunk and asking why he cares about any of this, he eventually got real frustrated and stopped answering and said that he would only respond if I paid him or if it was a formal interview. I said Ok, its a formal interview.
Q:
Ok, you've said that these girls in this video represent a trend that you don't like, is that right?
A:
Yes, with one qualification: I'm not saying the women themselves are the problem, I'm saying the way they've been selected and presented appears to reflect a broader, commercially legible stereotype of goth femininity - the conventionally attractive, sexualised "goth girlfriend" archetype - and I find that flattening of a much broader subculture irritating.
![]() |
| Siouxsie Sioux |
Q:
So, the idea of this as "flattening" would seem to suggest that this piece of media is part of a *more* significant trend than lots of *other* media which portrays goths in different ways. Why is it *more* significant than other kinds of media takes on goths?
A:
I don't think it has to be more significant than every other portrayal of goths for "flattening" to be an accurate description.
Different representations can coexist, including ones that pull goth aesthetics in very different directions. My point is that this video participates in one recurring shorthand - namely, goth femininity reduced to a narrow, conventionally attractive, sexually legible aesthetic.
"Flattening" describes what happens within that representational pattern - a broad music-based subculture with many aesthetics gets compressed into a smaller set of immediately recognisable visual cues. It doesn't mean that pattern has successfully erased every competing representation, nor that this particular video is culturally more powerful than all of them.
So I wouldn't claim this video is uniquely significant. I'd claim it's recognisable as one example of a broader stereotype that is significant enough to be culturally familiar in the first place.
![]() |
| Patricia Morrison (Sisters of Mercy) |
Q:
If it's not more significant than say "the goths in South Park" or "goths represented as losers who watch too much anime and need to touch grass" or "Goths who will boil and eat your cat" then why are you steamed?
A:
Because "significant" and "annoying" aren't synonyms. I don't need to believe this is the single most culturally powerful depiction of goths in existence to dislike what it's doing.
What irritates me about this particular stereotype is that it takes a subculture with decades of music, fashion, DIY culture and internal diversity and filters goth women through a very familiar lens of sexual desirability - "goth" as an accessory to the fantasy of the hot, available goth girlfriend.
The South Park goths are a caricature too. So are the "anime loser" and "cat-boiling weirdo" stereotypes, and I can criticise those when they're in front of me as well. Other stereotypes existing doesn't make this one less worthy of comment - this happened to be the representation in the video I was looking at, so it's the one I commented on.
I don't rank every cultural irritation on a league table before I'm allowed to be annoyed by it.
![]() |
| Maitri and Valor (Christian Death) |
Q:
So would you say "I'm being annoyed on the Internet about something that doesn't really matter"?
A:
I'd say I'm annoyed on the Internet about something that isn't especially high-stakes, which is different from saying it doesn't matter.
Most cultural criticism concerns things that aren't matters of life and death. Representation, stereotypes and commodification can still be worth noticing and discussing without pretending they're the gravest problems facing humanity.
So yes, it's a relatively minor irritation. No, I don't think "minor" means "meaningless."
![]() |
| Cosey Fanni Tutti (Throbbing Gristle) |
Q:
Well, I know you said you didn't have a problem with the women themselves--you do understand that they agreed to do this right? And it's basically part of their job?
A:
Yes, of course. I understand that they're consenting adults doing paid work, and I haven't suggested otherwise.
My criticism isn't that the women were somehow coerced into appearing, nor that they're personally responsible for every cultural meaning attached to the finished product. It's about the product itself - how it selects, frames and packages a particular version of "goth femininity" for an audience.
People can willingly participate in something and that thing can still reproduce a stereotype. Consent answers the question "did they agree to do it?" It doesn't answer the separate question "what cultural image is this piece of media constructing?"
![]() |
| Caroline Pierce (currently playing an elf ranger) |
Q:
Ok. I'm asking a different thing. Knowing that these people worked on this project as their job, do you get that your nuance between "I don't like this video" & "you're not real goths" might not be real important to them--especially with thousands of others saying obnoxious things to them?
A:
Yes, I understand that. If someone is already receiving thousands of obnoxious comments, they may not care very much about the distinction between criticism of a piece of media and criticism directed at them personally.
But that doesn't make the distinction unreal or unimportant in what I'm actually saying here. I'm responsible for the claims I'm making in this interview, and I'm being explicit that my criticism is of the representation and packaging, not of the women as people or their legitimacy within the subculture.
I can understand why somebody on the receiving end of a pile-on might not stop to parse that distinction. That's a question of how criticism is experienced, though, not whether the distinction itself exists.
![]() |
| Vampira |
Q:
The extent if your grievance is "this annoys me but I can't think of any way it really affects anything" correct?
A:
No, that isn't correct. I've said it's low-stakes, not that it has no effect. My criticism is that repeated commercial shorthand can narrow how a subculture is popularly understood, particularly when women within it are repeatedly filtered through a sexually marketable archetype.
I'm not claiming this video causes some large, independently measurable social harm by itself. Cultural representation generally works cumulatively, not because one video changes society overnight.
So if you want to characterise my position as 'this annoys me and it isn't terribly important,' that's fair. 'I can’t think of any way it affects anything' is using your own interpretative wording to misrepresent what I said.
![]() |
| Ms. Cassandra Peterson |
Q:
Ok, so this "narrowing"--how could that affect anyone concretely?
A:
Concretely, repeated narrow representations can affect what audiences come to recognise as "authentically" goth, which in turn affects how people within the subculture are perceived and treated.
That can mean:
- women who don't fit the conventionally attractive, sexualised archetype being treated as less recognisably goth
- people assuming goth women are inherently sexually available or performing for male attention
- commercial spaces increasingly rewarding the most immediately marketable version of the aesthetic
- newcomers encountering the subculture primarily through that stereotype rather than through its music and broader history
None of those effects requires this one video to be uniquely powerful. They're cumulative effects of repetition. My claim is not (and has never been) that this video causes measurable harm by itself, but that it participates in a representational pattern which can shape expectations about what goth women are supposed to look like and what their participation in the subculture means.
![]() |
| Penny, who ordered this miniature |
Q:
Let's start with the first one: if someone is not conventionally attractive and so they're not read as goth (by someone really stupid and impressionable who watched some videos) who cares? Why would even they care? How does this hurt anyone?
A:
Because being persistently misread or treated as inauthentic within a community you actually belong to can matter to the person experiencing it.
That doesn't require catastrophic harm. It can mean being dismissed as "not really goth," being excluded from spaces or conversations, having your taste and identity treated as illegitimate, or being expected to perform a narrower aesthetic to be recognised at all.
And I don't think you need to posit some uniquely stupid person who watched one video. Cultural stereotypes work through repetition: people absorb shorthand from lots of media and social encounters until it starts to feel like common sense.
You asked me for a concrete effect. That's one. If your next question is "but why should anyone care about that effect?", that's a different argument.
![]() |
| Chelsea Wolfe |
Q:
Why should anyone care about that (entirely hypothetical) effect? Both the person causing it and the person feeling it would appear to have such a severe mental health problem to start with that the video wasn't the issue. The problem is untreated mental health problems.
A:
If you continue framing ordinary social behaviour, identity, or (illegal claim deleted) as evidence of "severe mental health problems," or otherwise introduce (illegal claim deleted) premises into the questioning, the interview is over. You're free to challenge my argument as aggressively as you like, but I'm not obliged to participate in (illegal claim deleted) or pathologising framing.
I don't accept the premise that caring how you're perceived within a community, or being influenced by cultural stereotypes, constitutes a "severe mental health problem." Those are ordinary features of human social behaviour.
People care about belonging, recognition and how others perceive them. People also absorb stereotypes. Neither of these require a mental health diagnosis.
And even if someone involved did have a mental health condition, "therefore the surrounding social influences don't matter" wouldn't follow anyway. Individual psychology and social environment aren't mutually exclusive explanations.
You asked for a concrete way narrowing representation could affect someone. I gave you one. Declaring everyone involved "mentally ill" doesn't actually rebut the mechanism. It just changes the subject in a deeply offensive way.
![]() |
| Morticia |
Q:
Offended or not, do you dispute either of the following:
1. Someone who decides someone isn't a goth because they're not attractive has a mental health problem
2. Someone who decides they care significantly whether that person thinks they’re a goth has a mental
health problem
?
A:
I dispute both. Neither of those facts, by itself, is sufficient to diagnose someone with a mental health problem.
More importantly, I explicitly told you that continuing to frame ordinary social behaviour as evidence of mental illness would terminate the interview. Your very next question did exactly that.
So the interview is over. You may publish the answers given during the agreed interview period under the terms we established. I won't be answering further questions.
![]() |
| Astarte |
Q:
Yeah you have been perfectly clear: you think things that are absolutely bananas aren't and that pretty much explains your whole deal. No need to ask any more.
![]() |
| Brides of Dracula |







.jpg)






24 comments:
I think the illustrations for the interview would be improved by including drawn girls, specifically Cassie Hack.
I also think that fixing a society that largely consists of people with mental health issues is impossible, and this is exactly the kind of society that I have lived in, and people that I know well live in, and there are no signs that this situation will change.
@Terrence
Sorry, misinformation is not allowed on the blog.
At least one of the interlocutors is employed.
@Terence
Sorry, until you apologize and address your attempt to spread misinformation, your other comments won't be published
What was the misinformation I posted?
@Terence
You claimed that one (or both) interlocutors were unemployed.
Quote: "Get a job."
@spidder
To quote the last time you flattened a comment against the bulletproof glass here:
"
you made a first-strike personal attack—you have to address that. apologize or justify it.
the rules haven’t changed on that since 2009.
"
https://dndwithpornstars.blogspot.com/2020/10/patrick-stuart-maze-first-draft-and.html
>you have to address that. apologize or justify it.
Sure, I could do that, but only if it happens by way of an Official Interview™
Otherwise how do I know you won't delete or otherwise manipulate comments?
@Spidder
1. Because part of the rules of any sane conversation is to assume good faith unless you can prove bad faith. So if I say I am going to do something you have to assume I am telling the truth until you prove otherwise.
2. Because I have specific RULES for deleting comments that are easy to follow . So as long as you don't make false claims (as you have before) or make first-strike personal attacks (as you have before) then there aren't any reasons to suspect you'll be deleted. If you can resist your urge to lie or make personal attacks then its easy to avoid being deleted.
3. Because "manipulating" comments is impossible on this platform. Your comment is published or not.
-
That said, because you are obviously an interesting example of a common kind of totally irrational person on the Internet (this is not a first-strike personal attack as you've made many previously) , I'd be happy to do a formal interview.
Would you like to do it here in the comments or in another way.
Sure let's go here. What is the first question?
@Spidder
Ok, let's start with the first harassing comment you left:
The context is a post I made after the 2019 smear campaign that lead to me losing tons of work, 5 teeth, being evicted and otherwise having my life destroyed in ways that I may or may not ever be able to fix due to people in the RPG community lying about rape. (ps the legal system has agreed they lied about rape, I successfully sued 5 times).
I was concerned about this.
You wanted to get RPG material.
Instead of writing "I wish this was over so I could get more RPG material" you attacked me for caring and researching the motives and ideas of the bad actors involved.
You said "you are starting to lose it."--that is: you suggested this behavior was a product of mental illness.
I was not "starting to lose it" I haven't "lost it" (various mental health professionals agree) and the fact that I used the blog to gather information about the bad guys helped my case.
So, here's the question:
Do you still assert that I was "losing it"? Type yes or no.
https://dndwithpornstars.blogspot.com/2019/12/speak-now-or-forever-hold-your-peace.html
I
First, point to where in the exact diagnostic criteria of any accredited psychological body "losing it" is defined, because unless you are using a clinical standard (which you just claimed to reject via your own mental health professionals) you are relying on colloquial shorthand, meaning your demand for a binary "yes or no" is a classic loaded question fallacy designed to force a false concession.
Second, claiming that someone is "starting to lose it" in response to observed online behavior is an evaluation of public optics and conversational escalation, not a formal medical diagnosis, so attempting to legally or clinically refute a common idiom is a complete goalpost shift. If you want a precise answer, frame a precise question without embedded assumptions; otherwise, no, I do not accept your binary framing, because agreeing to your terms would mean accepting the flawed premise that pointing out erratic public posting is equivalent to issuing a medical evaluation.
@Spidder
If "losing it" you meant something other than "losing your mental health" or "becoming crazy" then type what you meant.
@Spidder
Sorry, misinformation is not allowed in the comments.
You were asked simply what you now *claim* you meant, not asked to keep ranting and making brand *new* false claims about my motives, etc.
Can you limit yourself to answering questions or not? Please type yes or no.
Doesn't seem like much of an interview if I'm limited to "yes" and "no" answers that you pick out for me. Too scared to engage in an actual debate?
@Spidder
This is not a debate, its an interview.
If you want a debate, you get a neutral third party to host.
You aren't limited to "yes" and "no" answers--in fact you weren't even asked for just a yes or no you were asked to type a sentence.
In an interview the interviewer (me) searches for information you have or takes that you believe. I ask, you answer.
Crucially:
*If every time we try to settle a single point ("What was the actual thing you intended to communicate?") you bring up new argumentation *without first settling the original point to where we agree* then the interaction literally can never end.
If you have your own points to raise after clarifying what we can and cant' agree on that's fine, but if you keep jamming in NEW controversial takes before the old ones are addressed, you can't have a conversation that ever stops.
So, for now I asked literally one thing. A simple thing that we can talk about BEFORE going on to other shit you may care about.
You can type this (and nothing else) or stop:
If "losing it" you meant something other than "losing your mental health" or "becoming crazy" then type what you meant.
@spidder
Misinformation is not allowed in the comments.
And you just proved you can't limit yourself to answering the questions.
The interview's over.
@spidder
FYI:
If you ever end up in court, when they ask you questions you have to answer and NOT then go on a rant where you make up motives for the person you are answering.
You just answer the question--and you are judged on the answers.
I did this a dozen times and things worked out fine. Mentally handicapped people do it. Children do it. It's not hard.
If one day you learn to do it, let me know and we can continue.
Wtf is this? And what the hell is this comment section?
What even is the point of you anymore, Zak?
@Arrase
Forgive me if this answer seems basic or schematic or condescending or whatever but your question is pretty simple to answer:
"Wtf is this?"
My blog and its comment section.
This particular entry is an interview where I find out the motivation of a certain kind of internet harasser. The interview was successful.
"And what the hell is this comment section?"
The first comment is from Simon, who explains his take on the interview.
The subsequent comments are two a pair of commenters (or one commenter with two aliases) who kept leaving misinformation on this page and so their comments were erased.
If you're very bad at reading or thinking it might be confusing that I'm writing @ to people whose comments you can't see, but a seconds thought would reveal:
-Their comments were deleted so of course you can't see them
-They can read my messages to them because they're responding
Many people with blogs would simply refuse to allow their comments and be silent, but I am trying to be fair and explain to the bad guys what they can do to make amends and be published again.
As for
"What even is the point of you anymore, Zak?"
The same point as always.
-
Two questions for you (and remember the rule on this blog is that you have to answer questions put to you):
1. Does that clear it up for you?
2. You seem to be trying to express some kind of negative judgment about me or the blog here but you didn't outright state what that is. If I am right about that: state clearly what you believe that is. If I am wrong: simply clarify and say that's not what you meant to do.
@anon
Sorry, anonymous comments are not allowed
That's technically answering the question, but missing the spirit of it. If you want me to get more specific then just replace the "what" in my query with "why"?
Why do any of this? Why interview random trolls on Xitter? Why delete stuff from your comment section to the point of it being unreadable? Why be like this, in general? This benefits no one, least of all you.
@Arase
A high priority here is to be fair to people.
The "spirit" of a question is subjective, arguable,, the objective meaning isn't, so you can hold people responsible for that easily. Thats' why (for example) laws hold people responsible more for the technicality than the "spirit". It is easier to be fair.
Plus, if someone is a fair interlocutor and they've been imprecise, they can just clairify--like you did. It costs nothing--or at least far less than litigating what the "spirit" of a question is.
-"Why do any of this?""Why interview random trolls on Xitter? "
To better understand bad people who do bad things and, eventually, perhaps, find ways to therefore prevent it or prevent it harming people.
-"Why delete stuff from your comment section to the point of it being unreadable?"
Misinformation online causes very large, concrete and measurable problems--there's not a lot of good reasons for people with editorial control of internet pages to add to that problem by allowing it to be published.
As for "unreadable"--I grant that a stupid person might nor be able to read it, but:
a) dumbing discussion down to the point where a stupid person can read it means certain important discussions are impossible
b) anyone confused but curious can literally just ask--and someone too stupid or timid to ask is not a useful part of the target audience of this blog
In other words--the person who really wants to read the comments but can't understand the relatively simple concept of a deleted comment and can't bring themself to ask is not going to be a lot of use to anybody. I do not write for these people.
"Why be like this, in general?"
Because knowledge is good, learning is good, preventing harm is good.
"This benefits no one, least of all you."
This is incorrect.
Preventing misinformation benefits literally all humans everywhere. Adding to the sum total of knowledge about how bad people justify their own badness benefits anyone seeking to address the problems they create and all their potential victims.
One thing I've noticed over the years is--whenever it is tested--the bad guys are very bad at predicting my behavior (you can read their chatter and their predictions, then see, days, weeks, months, or seconds later, see that they were wrong--including the bad guy above who assumed I was bluffing about interviewing him) and, again when its tested, I'm increasingly accurate in predicting theirs--its helped a lot.
I suspect (but cannot prove or defend) the "spirit" behind the statement "This benefits no one, least of all you." is really something like "I don't want to read this kind of content, I inexplicably did read it and then got frustrated, the world should be tailored for me specifically and this instance of it not being irritates me, I will assert that it benefits no-one as an expression of my frustration, and it also reminds horrible people online like myself of how you don't act the way we do and how that failure to behave like us makes me and fellow horrible people not like you"
-
1. Does that clear it up for you?
2. Do you still assert "this benefits no one, least of all you."?
3. If yes to 2, then I will request that you prove that people would benefit from misinformation in this blog's comments more than they'd be harmed, plus prove several other things that statements requires. Are you ready to do that?
No answer Arase? Engage. What does it cost you? There is no hostility here, it is honest questions.
Post a Comment