Tuesday, February 28, 2023

A Gift To Jojiro

So, since I won, more apologies are trickling in. Which is good: every public apology is one less person I might have to sue.

But a lot of people are doing weird in-between things, here's a telling example:

Once upon a time there was someone screen-named Jojiro or Ant Wu.

In the beforetimes, they liked my game stuff and started social media-ing me.

Then they were casually in a conversation and started namecalling at someone. I was like "Hey, this is a place for grown-ups, we don't do that, you're banned" and Jojiro was like "Wait, wait! I want to talk".

So, I set up a Zoom call. On this Zoom call I patiently explained to what appeared to be an actual human adult that it is not good to announce your issues with a fellow human adult you share space with in the form of namecalling.

Just like every other time I did this, it worked.  Because there is no sane argument a person can make in real time against "If you have an issue with someone tell them like a grown up".

This seemed to have an oddly profound effect on Jojiro. For a long time Jojiro started talking to lots of people in their life like fucking adults instead of 4chan trash. Jojiro's life improved. Jojiro made this claim frequently.

But also, just like every other time a gamer troll got confronted, they eventually backslid. They joined the hatemob and were extremely active in hatemob spaces in the early days, pushing for my life to be destroyed. 

But they would post conflicted things like this (from the OSR Discord)...

...where they are still very active.

After I announced won, they sent me this:

I'll open with the most relevant thing. I'm sorry. I fucked up.

This is Anthony Wu/Jojiro.

In 2019 I said I had a hard time believing your story regarding Mandy and co.

In the intervening years I maintained this position in more conversations than I can count. With the passing of time, I now believe that I was wrong. The process by which I've come to that belief is independent of evidence or the court case. It was a BPD friend of mine from childhood flipping out on me about totally false premises that convinced me - nothing like your situation, but she painted me as an abusive friend, citing events that didn't ever exist in reality. This is not ideal, I think, by your values as I understand them - ideally it would be fact-checking, and not personal hurt, that would inspire my apology to you. I've wondered if there's any point in apologizing, when my apology is so far from what you actually want people to do.

Oh well. You've said that apologies matter to you - not in a personal sense, but in the sense that you thought humanity was more normal, sane, and good when people apologized for being wrong. In lieu of that - I'm sorry. I was wrong.

You've also said that when people make public attacks, they should make public apologies.

I've not the moral fortitude for that - I've no plan to go and rescind every single wrong thing I've said about you. I've stopped, certainly, but I've done damage to you, and this is me admitting that I've no plan to go and undo the damage.

If that admission positions this email as a pointless apology - fair enough.

Still felt that I should send it.

Congratulations on your legal victory against Vivka.

---

Proof below:


So Jojiro, I will be patient and generous with you again, accept this gift.

While you not have the "moral fortitude" to go public and apologize and help fix the problem you created, I did it for you.

Gygax vobiscum.

-

-

-

5 comments:

Ojednep said...

so what's next, now? are you going to sue your way back into gencon, dtrpg, reddit, something awful etc.

Zak Sabbath said...

@ojednep

I have never said anything about suing my way "into" anything.

But what happens next is:

The people and institutions responsible for the smear campaign will be held accountable for what they did or I will die trying.

That hasn't changed and won't ever change.

Zak Sabbath said...

@G R Michael

Erased. Misinformation is not allowed in the comments.

Zak Sabbath said...

@John

Erased.

First-strike personal attacks are not allowed in the comments.

Zak Sabbath said...

@John

In order to be fair to everyone (thousands of people have wanted to leave comments here over the years ) and to avoid confusion, to avoid bias on my part, or to avoid people retconning their intentions here in bad faith, moderation here is _intention blind_.

I don't care why someone is first-strike namecalling or why they say they are: it's not allowed, it never was allowed and it never will be allowed.

That can make it harder to be funny or pithy to the other gamers reading the comments, but it doesn't prevent anyone from communicating information or ideas to each other about RPGs, which is the important thing here.

If you meant something that it was important to express: find a way to express it that doesn't include namecalling.

If you meant something that it wasn't important to express: don't express it.