Monday, January 2, 2012

An Embarrassment of Impressive (& More Pie Charts)

Finally finished reading all the way through Secret Santicore and I have to re-say: it is very good. Like I can't think of the last time I saw anything published (for money or otherwise) that had this much stuff that was actually going straight into my game immediately.

People keep asking for The Complete _________(something other than a city)_____ Kit? Well a lot of what would go into a thing like that is right in this obscure little pdf. (And it's nice to see many of the Hack Vornheim Contest winning DMs continuing to come up with creative stuff here.)


The little details really make a huge difference here: like Jeremy Duncan's Vat Spawn character class? Ho hum more mutants, yeah yeah, weird weird--but he tells you they are immortal and their whole personality and skillset 're-boot' every 100 years. That explains so much and suggests so many possibilities. Plus the actual mutations and weirdnesses he gives them seem actually thought-out and playable rather than just the typical Dragon Magazine grab-bag of abilities-inspired-by-the-last-movie-I-saw.

Anyway, highly recommended. Again.


Also worth a look: Zombiesmith Miniatures appears to be producing some intriguingly Cobalt 60-ish miniatures, from what I can tell from their extremely poorly-organized site. (No offense, so far as I can tell, all miniatures sites ever are extremely poorly organized. Whats up with that?)
Aaaaand here are some entirely unrelated infographics regarding the girls' race and class choices over the course of all sessions. I have limited the info to only PCs in games I GMed in order to avoid filling my head with even more useless data and maybe accidentally crowding out things like what month it is and what city I am in.

11 comments:

Christopher said...

Which rules do you use for the Alchemist class?

Spawn of Endra said...

Sweet, I'm glad it's up for free for everybody to check out. Good stuff.

A gnome named Chomsky appeared in a Smurfs episode in the 80s, I recall. I recognized the name back then, but didn't have any idea who he was.

Jeff Rients said...

I'm pretty sure I stole Gnome Chomsky from like a Steve Jackson product or something like that.

Jeremy Duncan said...

"Plus the actual mutations and weirdnesses he gives them seem actually thought-out and playable rather than just the typical Dragon Magazine grab-bag of abilities-inspired-by-the-last-movie-I-saw."

I'm going to take that has a huge complement, as I came up with most of those on cold medicine at about 3 in the morning.

Doctor Checkmate said...

To Zak: "I have limited the info to only PCs in games I GMed in order to avoid filling my head with even more useless data and maybe accidentally crowding out things like what month it is and what city I am in." Thank you. That was the first time today that I laughed out loud. I needed that.

To Jeremy Duncan: Cold Medicine and sleep deprivation are also responsible for an 11 page term paper I do NOT remember writing. Got an A and an award out of it though. Just wish I could remember writing it...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the praise Zak. I had quite a bit o' fun coming up with the bandit table. Odd how it happened. I couldn't decide how I wanted to tackle it. I was in Boston on vacation with the girlie and I got stuck with a bug and started horking in the bathroom. When I finished it popped in my head.. Kinda like Doc Brown and the fluxcapacitor.

Santacore was really awesome to work on and be a part of. Things like this need to happen more often because truly kick ass ideas have come out of it. I am really happy with Michael's Monster Mutation chart that I asked for :)

Jeremy Duncan said...

So clearly, illness and sleep deprivation are the keys, here. Drink lots of coffee and stop taking your vitamins, everyone! The holiday-season germ explosion should do the rest.

migellito said...

wrathofzombie: My pleasure, and I'm extremely gratified that you like it :)

Jeff: Do you read Pewfell? There was a Gnome Chomsky character in there some time ago.

Jeff Rients said...

I do now!

Bosh said...

I'll have to read through it myself, I've just skimmed. I like the plant article especially, looks like just the thing to to spice up a wilderness campaign.

SammyV said...

That reminds, me thank you so much for posting about Secret Santicore. It's super-awesome.