Friday, January 16, 2015

Want More Women In Gaming? Make Better Shit.

"No school due to ice today. My six year old daughter spotted Red and Pleasant Land on the table and was drawn in by the blonde girl in a pretty dress and also the possibility that that might be blood dripping down in the background. 

I don't usually share my gaming books with her because of all the murder and horror. But I spent a short while this morning telling her all about R&PL. She loves vampires and Alice in Wonderland, she was very happy to see all the girls in interesting dresses through out,


...although equally interested in the green pigs....

....I realized just how perfect this book is for her. the contents are what she is all about. It all makes sense to her, crazy gravity, inside out rooms, lakes of blood on the ceiling. Best of all it inspires her. Which is what a good DIY D&D book should do. So we spent awhile this morning drawing vampires. 

Her vampires are a mother and two daughters, although the one with the ears is secretly a gremlin. They had to move out of the small castle (which is far away) and move into the large castle (which is close up) because "That place got all jacked up by gremlins". The squiggly lines are roads and or roller coasters that move people around and it doesn't matter if the vampires fall off the roller coasters because they can fly.

I'm going to tell her about the Vampire Brides who can change into kittens when she gets home."
See, ladies love quality.

14 comments:

Erik Talvola said...

Great stuff. Need to remember to bring my copy of the book for signing to your art show coming up in SF

Geoffrey McKinney said...

That's a lovely post. It reminds me of my daughter (about 6 years old at the time) teaching herself to read with the hardback reprints of those old black-and-white Eerie comics.

Briny Wits said...

I just wanted to say this is fucking awesome.

Pierce said...

Awesome!

Douglas Cole said...

I love it how small children (my eldest daughter is 5yo, and frequently sits on my lap when I game) can integrate - with ridiculous success - highly contrary and imaginative components into a crazed, awesome, expansive whole that is so much larger than the bit parts. I am eagerly looking forward to getting her into the hobby; she's already a voracious reader of comic books.

Anonymous said...

This post makes one think that maybe reducing people into broadly categorized demographics instead of viewing them as individuals that are more than simply the sum of their parts, with individual wants and interests, makes one a colossal sphincter.

Anonymous said...

Reaaallly wanna get a hold of a hard copy of this thing soon! Need to wait for some spending money to come in at the end of February though, hope it doesn't sell out by then!

Couple of questions that are unrelated (slightly). Anyone know when the reprint of Vornheim is due out?

Also, I've been looking for a table I saw on here (it's not in the All The Random Tables post in the sidebar) that allows a GM to roll up random encounters and scenes that PCs might come across in an area that has just seen a war or massive battle; including buildings on fire (a windmill in particular), soldiers pillaging and looting, etc. I KNOW I saw it here in the past.

Pierce said...

http://middenmurk.blogspot.ca/2013/04/aftermath.html Could this be what you were looking for? good luck!

Anonymous said...

Yuppers! Thanks.

Zak Sabbath said...

Vornheim reprint should be in February or March

The Bear-Breathing Dragon said...

Who wrote the quote?

Zak Sabbath said...

A guy named Wayne

Devin H. said...

My wife saw the book and fell in love with it for the aesthetics as well - the texture of the cover, smell of the pages, etc. It is a coffee table book at my house because people see it and it looks like a cool book someone would want to read and not at all like a boring fantasy textbook, so when people are over they pick it up even if they're not D&D people

Fuck Nazis said...

Hmmm- To me, it looks like Zak posted two very specific testimonials, not that he broadly generalized towards anyone.