Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Secret Arneson Party

Ok, so on this Dave Arneson's death day, I got an idea on what to do for Gary Gygax's Birthday.

(By the time it comes around--July 27--we'll have had time to decide whether we want to do it or not.)(I'm not committing to this idea until I'm sure a lot of people are into it.)

S0 here's the deal-we call it the Secret Arneson Party.

Basically, at the beginning of July, everybody who wants to participate e-mails some central someone (me, if nobody else wants to do it) a request for some specific brand new campaign material--a new race, a location, a one-shot adventure outline, a random table, whatever. The idea is to be as specific as you need to be, but not too greedy (ask for a page or two of material).

Then the person running the Secret Arneson mixes all the campaign stuff requests up and e-mails them randomly back out to the people who entered. (Like a secret santa.)

Everybody gets the requests, and then they have until Gary's birthday to write up something matching the request. Then you post the material on-line or just send it back to the person who asked for that thing in the first place.

(It probaby goes without saying that none of this stuff should get used commercially unless the person who wrote it gets paid. Let's not celebrate the Gygax/Arneson relationship too controversially.)

31 comments:

JollyOrc said...

great idea, I love it. Shall I email you? :)

Zak Sabbath said...

let's wait until we get a critical mass of people who are in

Zanazaz said...

Okay, I'm in! Sounds like a cool idea.

mordicai said...

I'm in. I'm trying to think if there is a way to subdivide artists & art requests but that is probably over-complicating matters.

brink. said...

Sounds great. Count me in unless the Zombie Apocalypse occurs before July. 'Cuz then i'd be busy.

Stick said...

Sounds like a hell of a plan. I'd be down for something like this.

Al said...

Brilliant! Count me in...

Unknown said...

You can count me in as well.

Al said...

My only issue is the name, "Secret Arneson Party" is SAP for short. How about "Secret Arneson Gift Exchange" or "SAGE"? ;)

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I am in. And I agree with Al. SAGE sounds nicer.

Jeffrey Runokivi said...

Yeah, I am in too...sounds like fun.

PatrickW said...

This sounds like a ton of fun. I'm in.

Anonymous said...

I would love to do this. Waiting for critical mass to be reached.

Rhino said...

That sounds pretty awesome.

John Matthew Stater said...

Sounds good to me.

SirAllen said...

I am totally in.

Telecanter said...

In.

Anonymous said...

OH man, I am in.

Anonymous said...

Cool. I'd love to participate.

Anonymous said...

In.

Ragnorakk said...

neat idea - I'll bite

huth said...

Sounds fun?

thekelvingreen said...

I vote for SAGE too.

I can do pictures, and I'll have a go at wordy-type stuff too, although I'm more of a Call of Cthulhu, WFRP and Fighting Fantasy type of bloke.

Anonymous said...

I would be happy to be in this.

David Larkins said...

Totally in.

Like kelvingreen, I'd be willing to field any art requests that come in. Writing's good too.

GragSmash said...

I would absolutely love to participate in this as a writer.

squidman said...

Can a poor boy from Poland come along?

Amanda said...

I'm in! I am an artist also, so I'd be happy to take an art request.

Joethelawyer said...

In! But I can't do art for shit. I'll gladly do the other stuff. :)

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I can help with writing since it's what I do for a living. ;)

Tom said...

In. No to any art though, unless you're looking for XKCD quality stuff. That I could do. And Prose. Or Riddles. I like riddles.